From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-dev vs lkml?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:46:48
1 On Thursday 15 March 2007 00:59, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Underlying the draft code of conduct is an assumption that aggressive
3 > and less-than-nice behavior on gentoo-dev is seriously harming Gentoo.
4 > On the other hand, LKML is famous for its flamewars, and nobody claims
5 > that Linux is in serious trouble. Does anybody have a good feeling for
6 > where the difference lies?
7
8 The main differences I see are:
9
10 1) There is a fairly clear chain of command.
11
12 2) Each technical area usually has a clear authority - ie. a spokesman whom is
13 listened to and usually has one's posts challenged with clear respect.
14
15 3) Many contributors are paid to do it and thus have the time to spend
16 isolating the technical merits of a post from the flames or, more
17 importantly, time to develop a work ethic that allows that to do such
18 separation habitually.
19
20 > Are we sure that we're solving the right problem? (That's not a rhetorical
21 > question; I really don't know the answer.)
22
23 Good question. I wouldn't have a clue as to the best resolution either.
26 Jason Stubbs
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list