From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About linux-headers, making stages with catalyst
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:25:53
1 On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 23:21 +0100, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
2 > I'm a user of catalyst; I'm trying to make stages for some different
3 > arquitectures, which use the newest portage and _at least_ linux 2.6 headers.
4 > I'm using the profile portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2004.2, and there are
5 > virtuals which refer to linux 2.6.
6
7 I made this profile and I can assure you that 2.4 headers and a 2.4
8 kernel are the defaults for it and the 2004.3 profile. There is not a
9 x86 profile in the portage tree that does not have 2.4 as the defaults
10 yet.
11
12 > When catalyst tries to build stage 1 (from a stage 3), it creates a "stage1root"
13 > in /tmp. There are copied the portage profile, and little more. Then, "emerge"
14 > is called for installing the base packages, using environment variable "ROOT".
15 > That "emerge" call, as a dependence, tries to install "linux-headers". In a
16 > similar case, using the same profile, it happens that "emerge" tries to install
17 > "gentoo-sources-2.4..." when emerging "device-mapper" (which depends on
18 > virtual/linux-source).
19
20 This is expected behavior thanks to the profile's virtuals.
21
22 > Where does "emerge" read that it has to install "2.4" things? There are only the
23 > "virtuals" in the profile, isn't it? And they relate to 2.6... I really don't
24 > know how to tell emerge not to use "2.4" things, as I know only that he reads
25 > the "virtuals" for satisfying virtuals' dependencies.
26
27 You are correct in that the virtuals file is read. The easiest way
28 would be for you to create your own profile and use that instead.
29
30 > I hope I wrote my problem clear enough. I'm not too good writting in English. :)
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
35 Games - Developer
36 Gentoo Linux