From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel sources thread
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:38:18
1 Joel Konkle-Parker wrote: [Fri Jul 16 2004, 06:30:53PM EDT]
2 > As an interested desktop user, I'm curious about the devs' opinions on
3 > this recent thread in gentoo-user:
4 >
5 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/89620
6
7 I think it's safe to say that ciaranm is engaging in hyperbole in his
8 assertion that "Everyone agrees gentoo-sources is full of garbage". (Or
9 perhaps he's claiming that pretty much everybody who looks at the
10 gentoo-* patch set will decide there's at least one patch that doesn't
11 matter to him or her, and thus is "extraneous garbage"; it seems that
12 nobody asked him to clarify what he meant.) In any event, I run
13 gentoo-sources and gentoo-dev-sources on all of my x86 machines, and in
14 general I find that when I encounter a broken kernel it's broken in
15 vanilla- as well. The converse is not necessarily true, however, as
16 gentoo-* kernels are often patched w/ bug fixes before they make it into
17 the vanilla kernel. (It's worth noting that ciaranm works w/ sparc
18 hardware, so his experiences may be quite different from mine.)
19
20 Best,
21 g2boojum
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76