From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Time based retirements
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:48:15
1 On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm curious who had the brain dead idea to retire Gentoo developers
3 > that are still interested in the distro, that maintain low activity
4 > packages for herds that are stretched way too thin, and are still
5 > contributing to the distro in many ways other than direct CVS commits
6 > (e.g. overlays, user support, providing hardware to other devs, etc).
7 >
8 > I could MAYBE understand it if they're consuming some valuable
9 > resource that we need to free up by retiring them. But instead they
10 > get a nasty-gram about their impending retirement and decide if that's
11 > how they are to be treated that they can be retired. When they finally
12 > want to contribute again they have the lovely uphill of our dreadfully
13 > painful recruitment process.
14 >
15 > I'm really just trying to understand the sense in this.
16
17 Often people stop maintaining packages. We use heuristics to detect
18 these people. These are based on commits and bug activity, along with
19 a whitelist for non-ebuild developers (forum moderators, irc ops, pr
20 people, and so forth.) They are just heuristics; they are obviously
21 not perfect. I'd be happy to just add steev to the whitelist for 12
22 months and then see where we are then (so he stops showing in the
23 report).
24
25 > --
26 > Doug Goldstein