From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:11:19
1 On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:09:57 -0800
2 Corey Shields <cshields@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > (apologies for the messed up time in my last message)
5 >
6 > On Friday 18 November 2005 06:53 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > > We've seen why this won't work in the past... Too few users know
8 > > how to do proper testing. We've had "please keyword, works for me"
9 > > bugs for things that will always segfault on startup. We've had
10 > > several people who think it'd be clever to automate testing
11 > > reports. We've got enough ricers out there that clearly broken
12 > > things would end up getting "works for me" spammed even more than
13 > > they are already...
14 >
15 > Yeah, it's not a perfect solution, but nothing is.
16 >
17 > I think having users systems would be profiled may help ease the
18 > ricer issue. fex, user A has 3 systems, and marks package B as "!WFM"
19 > on one. devs can cross link that negative mark to the system profile
20 > and note that it's "-O12 --omg-itsofast", and disregard the negative
21 > mark. You could even take it a step further and setup ratings for
22 > the registered users, and those who end up with a set negativity
23 > don't count or something (for the ricers)..
24 >
25 > Not saying this is something that stability or instability should be
26 > automatically assumed from, but that it be used as another tool.
27 > Something to bridge that "poweruser" - "dev" gap.
28
29 Well, my (non-working and incomplete) stats system could probably
30 provide such functionality if I ever get it working.
31
32 Marius
37 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
38 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.