From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 03:13:46
1 (apologies for the messed up time in my last message)
2
3 On Friday 18 November 2005 06:53 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > We've seen why this won't work in the past... Too few users know how to
5 > do proper testing. We've had "please keyword, works for me" bugs for
6 > things that will always segfault on startup. We've had several people
7 > who think it'd be clever to automate testing reports. We've got enough
8 > ricers out there that clearly broken things would end up getting "works
9 > for me" spammed even more than they are already...
10
11 Yeah, it's not a perfect solution, but nothing is.
12
13 I think having users systems would be profiled may help ease the ricer issue.
14 fex, user A has 3 systems, and marks package B as "!WFM" on one. devs can
15 cross link that negative mark to the system profile and note that it's "-O12
16 --omg-itsofast", and disregard the negative mark. You could even take it a
17 step further and setup ratings for the registered users, and those who end up
18 with a set negativity don't count or something (for the ricers)..
19
20 Not saying this is something that stability or instability should be
21 automatically assumed from, but that it be used as another tool. Something
22 to bridge that "poweruser" - "dev" gap.
23
24 Just openly brainstorming here..
27 Corey Shields
28 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team