From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel sources thread
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 05:59:33
1 maillog: 21/07/2004-01:38:01(-0400): Greg KH types
2 > > $ tar tjf /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2
3 > > MAKEDEV
4 >
5 > What is this still needed for? LSB stuff?
6 >
7 > > video/mga_vid0
8 > > mga_vid
9 >
10 > Hm, what driver needs these? These are not in the LANANA documenation
11 > for device nodes.
12 >
13 > > vmnet0
14 > > vmnet1
15 > > vmnet2
16 > > vmnet3
17 > > vmnet4
18 > > vmnet5
19 > > vmnet6
20 > > vmnet7
21 > > vmnet8
22 > > vmnet9
23 >
24 > I think the vmware package already creates these as my machines somehow
25 > "just work" with udev and vmware today.
26 >
27 > > sndstat
28 >
29 > Hm, are you sure you need this? This should just work on the newer 2.6
30 > kernels.
31 >
32 > > dri/card0
33 >
34 > Ah yes, DRI. What fun...
35 > Anyway, the dri developers are working on this, so I'm leaving it up to
36 > their very capable hands for now.
37 >
38 > > All it needs is attention.
39 >
40 > I agree. Bug me about this if anyone knows of any other device nodes
41 > that they need (and have the hardware for) that udev doesn't currently
42 > create.
43
44 Heeey, you didn't read the bug, did you?
45
46 It is an enhancement to the current tarball approach. Instead of tarring
47 everything that's left in /dev on a shutdown, it only tars what is not taken
48 care of by udev. As an example I listed my tarball -- there isn't a single
49 device in there that udev knows about. It is possible to easily ignore files
50 that you don't want. I guess I forgot to add MAKEDEV in the ignore list
51 together with stdout, stdin, stderr, core, initctl....
52
53 Just read the bug if you want more information. Plus I'd very much like to see
54 some action on it.
55
56 About the devices...
57 - MAKEDEV: just happened to be there, I didn't explicitely request it
58 - mga_vid: for the mplayer mga_vid driver
59 - vmware: I am pretty sure it doesn't "just work", or there wouldn't be bugs
60 like #54269. Anyway, I'll try the newer ebuild, because the changelog talks
61 about "newest any-any";
62 - sndstat: see MAKEDEV
63 - dri: if udev knew about it, it wouldn't get added to the tarball; i.e. when
64 they fix it, it will disappear.
67 \ Georgi Georgiev \ What is food to one, is to others bitter \
68 / chutz@×××.net / poison. -- Titus Lucretius Carus /
69 \ +81(90)6266-1163 \ \
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list