From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rejecting unsigned commits
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 19:30:02
1 On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Dane Smith wrote:
2 > On 03/25/2011 02:46 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>> Of course now we can add additional requirements:
5 >>>
6 >>> * The key must have an userid that refers to an official Gentoo e-mail
7 >>> address. E.g. dilfridge@g.o
8 >>
9 >> no.  there's no reason for this requirement, and it prevents proxy
10 >> maintenance long term.  e-mail addresses do not verify identity,
11 >> verifying identify verifies identity.  this is the point of the web of
12 >> trust.
13 >
14 > We are somewhat limited in the amount that we can verify "identity."
15 > Sure you can get a decent web of trust from signing the keys of people
16 > you've met at conferences, however, there will be people outside of that
17 > web.
18
19 creating one "tree key" which signs all developer keys listed in LDAP
20 is trivial to do
21
22 > What we need to verify is rather that the person who made the
23 > commit is someone who is authorized to make the commit and that it was
24 > in no way tampered with.
25
26 you're validating only that the machine with access to the private
27 keys pushed up the commit. hopefully the only person with said
28 machine is the one we recruited.
29 -mike