From: Daniel Wirengren <a99danwi@×××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ufed / USE-Flags Grouping Suggestion
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:47:58
1 Sven Köhler wrote:
2
3 >> I have tried out ufed, but I find the following idiom much more useful:
4 >>
5 >> emerge -vp foo
6 >> # If I see a flag I don't understand:
7 >> equery uses foo
8 >> USE='foo -bar' sudo emerge foo
9 >>
10 >> The point I am trying to make is that I do not find the current
11 >> number of USE
12 >> flags overwhelming, because I don't find the need (as some people
13 >> seem to) to
14 >> add every USE flag, global or otherwise, I ever encounter explicitly
15 >> to my
16 >> make.conf. I set a few of the major ones (i.e. USE='-X -gnome -gtk
17 >> -kde -qt'
18 >> on a server), and handle the rest as needed from the command line.
21 > using USE-flags on the command-line is _very_ unsafe, since "emerge
22 > -upD world" and "emerge dpeclean" for example won't remember them -
23 > they will use the normal USE-flags again.
26 > --
27 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
28 >
29 One solution could be to extend ufed with a argument of a package.
30 Ufed then only shows the relevant USE-flags and lets the user set them.
31 Then ufed changes the /etc/portage/package.use accordingly.