From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ufed / USE-Flags Grouping Suggestion
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:37:48
1 > I have tried out ufed, but I find the following idiom much more useful:
2 >
3 > emerge -vp foo
4 > # If I see a flag I don't understand:
5 > equery uses foo
6 > USE='foo -bar' sudo emerge foo
7 >
8 > The point I am trying to make is that I do not find the current number of USE
9 > flags overwhelming, because I don't find the need (as some people seem to) to
10 > add every USE flag, global or otherwise, I ever encounter explicitly to my
11 > make.conf. I set a few of the major ones (i.e. USE='-X -gnome -gtk -kde -qt'
12 > on a server), and handle the rest as needed from the command line.
13
14 using USE-flags on the command-line is _very_ unsafe, since "emerge -upD
15 world" and "emerge dpeclean" for example won't remember them - they will
16 use the normal USE-flags again.
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list