From: Josh Glover <jmglov@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ufed / USE-Flags Grouping Suggestion
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:09:15
1 Quoth Chris Gianelloni
2
3 > I guess I just don't understand the fascination with ufed since I have
4 > never used it.
5
6 I have tried out ufed, but I find the following idiom much more useful:
7
8 emerge -vp foo
9 # If I see a flag I don't understand:
10 equery uses foo
11 USE='foo -bar' sudo emerge foo
12
13 The point I am trying to make is that I do not find the current number of USE
14 flags overwhelming, because I don't find the need (as some people seem to) to
15 add every USE flag, global or otherwise, I ever encounter explicitly to my
16 make.conf. I set a few of the major ones (i.e. USE='-X -gnome -gtk -kde -qt'
17 on a server), and handle the rest as needed from the command line.
18
19 USE flags *have* scaled well, in my opinion, and I find the attitude of some
20 developers, "We have 600+ USE flags, so we must not add any more!" quite
21 irritating.
22
23 Several interesting solutions to the "problem" of the glut of USE flags have
24 been proposed. Why not focus our energy on solving the problems that we see
25 rather than resisting every USE flag that is suggested.
26
27 I am all for strict control over new global USE flags, and cleaning up the
28 existing ones. However, I would rather see local USE flags multiply to cover
29 the optional features of new packages than have to accept the ebuild creator's
30 "reasonable" choices, a la binary packages. I am not talking about
31 defaults--defaults are very important, and that is where an ebuild writer
32 should be focusing his energy. Defaults *must* be allowed to be overridden as
33 necessary, however, and that is often where local USE flags come in.
34
35 Tying this back to the 'branding' USE flag thread, I see the branding USE flag
36 as a good candidate for a new global USE flag because many packages do have
37 Gentoo branding, albeit minimal in most cases, that is almost always achieved
38 with a patch or a little shell magic in the ebuild. How hard is it to protect
39 this added value with an
40
41 if use foo; then
42 [...]
43 fi
44
45 construct? Is this not exactly what USE flags were originally invented to do,
46 to control option features, especially "added value" ones like this?
49 Josh Glover
50
51 GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B 07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
52 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list