From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 07:21:55
1 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> said:
2 > On Wednesday 01 February 2006 02:28, Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > We are talking about completely unrelated versions, not what we are touching.
4 > > For example, old imagemagick ebuilds sitting around, where the newer ebuilds
5 > > are fixed, but old ones are not. We have a security bug open about this
6 > > package right now, and having an error about deps in some old version doesn't
7 > > really help arch teams at all.
8 >
9 > Security bugs are about the only time I can see any urgency. That's not
10 > a good reason to completely degrade the error though. A switch similar
11 > to --ignore-other-archs that skips certain checks for urgent fixes seems
12 > reasonable though.
13
14 I don't really see why anyone that is marking an ebuild stable needs to have
15 a fatal error because an older version of that package isn't ported yet. We
16 are perfectly capable of mentioning this on the bug so the maintainer can fix
17 it later :) A flag to ignore it will make me, and probably other archs, happy
18 though.
19
20 Thanks,
23 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
24 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
25 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
26 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
27 http://www.halcy0n.com