From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild Readability Issues
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:04:11
1 Rafael Cordones Marcos wrote:
2 > Yes, but, lets face it, documentation allways lags behind code. That's
3 > why if I see an ebuild that conains a reference to ${PACKAGE_NAME} I do
4 > not have to goo look for any documentation to understand what it means
5 > (as compared to ${P}).
6
7 Let's face it, using those longer names would make ebuilds bigger,
8 uglier and probably faultier :the longer the varname, the higher the
9 risk of mistakes. Given the amount of times these vars are used it would
10 probably also increase the portage tree a few megs in size, i don't
11 think that's acceptable.
12
13 The best way to learn about ebuilds and variables inside them is still
14 looking at other ebuilds.
15
16 - foser
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list