From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: Georgi Georgiev <chutz-dated-1063558331.1e801939c4ac@×××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage through SSH
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:30:45
1 (I generally don't reply to top-posted articles, but oh well)
2
3 John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> writes:
4
5 > rdist is probably great if you would like to have identical hosts.
6
7 you don't need to have identical hosts with rdist.
8
9 > But if you are having diffrent kind of installations it could get
10 > messy.
11
12 hm, could you define "different kind of installations"? :-)
13
14 > I was thinking something along these lines.
15 >
16 > %emerge sync && emerge world --target server1 --update
17 >
18 > 1. rsync to localhost
19 >
20 > 2. read localhost:/var/cache/edb/server1/world || \
21 > read server1:/var/cache/edb/localhost/world
22 >
23 > 3. calculate which packages have to be updated
24 >
25 > 4. read localhost:/var/cache/edb/server1/make.conf || \
26 > read server1:/etc/make.conf
27 >
28 > 5. download and compile localy
29 >
30 > 6. install to server1:/
31 >
32 > 7. modify server1:/var/cache/edb/localhost/world && \
33 > modify localhost:/var/cache/edb/server1/world
34
35 honestly? no. there are a lot of other things that should be fixed
36 in Portage before this ever gets on a drawingboard, if it even
37 should get there.
38
39 if you want this functionality, my best advise would be to build a
40 buildroot on your build host using chroot, and remove stuff you
41 don't want when you rdist it to the client. otherwise you could use
42 buildpkg and just install packages on the client. even a stripped
43 system should have 'tar'. :-)
44
45 this would also leave the whole task transparent to Portage, which
46 is good[tm]. actually, this isn't too different from how I deal
47 with my NAT-box.
50 Terje
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list