From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
Cc: Georgi Georgiev <chutz-dated-1063558331.1e801939c4ac@×××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage through SSH
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:59:00
1 rdist is probably great if you would like to have identical hosts.
2 But if you are having diffrent kind of installations it could get messy.
3
4 I was thinking something along these lines.
5
6 %emerge sync && emerge world --target server1 --update
7
8 1. rsync to localhost
9
10 2. read localhost:/var/cache/edb/server1/world || \
11 read server1:/var/cache/edb/localhost/world
12
13 3. calculate which packages have to be updated
14
15 4. read localhost:/var/cache/edb/server1/make.conf || \
16 read server1:/etc/make.conf
17
18 5. download and compile localy
19
20 6. install to server1:/
21
22 7. modify server1:/var/cache/edb/localhost/world && \
23 modify localhost:/var/cache/edb/server1/world
26 -John
29 Terje Kvernes wrote:
30 > John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> writes:
33 >>Some requirement thoughts: A network of gentoo hosts should have
34 >>only one portage processing server and any number of installation
35 >>leafs.
38 > this is what I'm doing today, so I'll agree. :-)
41 >>First of all portage needs to easily handle more than one
42 >>installation. Second the "leaf-installations" should have a very
43 >>strict minimum requiremnts. Third redundancy is probably
44 >>important. The information to restore a lost "leaf" should be
45 >>availible on booth the portage host and on the leaf it self.
48 > this is easily doable with something like rdist. most things under
49 > unix are files. keeping this in mind when working with unix is a
50 > very good idea.
51 >
52 > at work, me and one other guy maintain about 150-odd linux boxes
53 > with rdist and a little bit extra. the idea is to rdist / with a
54 > few appropriate exceptions. we also maintain a configuration
55 > database (flat files under /etc/config) that gets rdisted as well.
56 > this means that all configuration for all the machines is available
57 > everywhere -- which is nice even though we have tape backups.
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list