From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: Georgi Georgiev <chutz-dated-1063558331.1e801939c4ac@×××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage through SSH
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:02:13
1 John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> writes:
2
3 > Some requirement thoughts: A network of gentoo hosts should have
4 > only one portage processing server and any number of installation
5 > leafs.
6
7 this is what I'm doing today, so I'll agree. :-)
8
9 > First of all portage needs to easily handle more than one
10 > installation. Second the "leaf-installations" should have a very
11 > strict minimum requiremnts. Third redundancy is probably
12 > important. The information to restore a lost "leaf" should be
13 > availible on booth the portage host and on the leaf it self.
14
15 this is easily doable with something like rdist. most things under
16 unix are files. keeping this in mind when working with unix is a
17 very good idea.
18
19 at work, me and one other guy maintain about 150-odd linux boxes
20 with rdist and a little bit extra. the idea is to rdist / with a
21 few appropriate exceptions. we also maintain a configuration
22 database (flat files under /etc/config) that gets rdisted as well.
23 this means that all configuration for all the machines is available
24 everywhere -- which is nice even though we have tape backups.
27 Terje
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list