From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 17:03:31
1 On Sun, 8 May 2016 01:52:22 +0200
2 Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > After yet another discussion about git in the #gentoo-dev channel
5 > tonight, the topic of merge commits came up for the umpteenth time.
6 >
7 > We all seem to agree merge commits are really bad design, add clutter
8 > to the log graph after a while and should be banned altogether from
9 > reaching the central repository.
10
11 They don't clutter the log graph at all, if you admit it is a graph and
12 not a chain :)
15 > As of now, no policy is in place yet to keep developers from pushing
16 > merge commits.
19 I was under the impression that merging is needed in order to preserve
20 commit signatures when e.g. merging someone else's work.