From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Codec project
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 12:11:42
1 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:25:20 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> The general purpose of codec project [2] is to maintain core libraries
6 >> for various multimedia format encoder/decoder libraries. It's like
7 >> gfx+sound+video except only for core packages and not every possible
8 >> single viewer, player, editor, frontend... I believe that this specific
9 >> focus make more sense than the wider projects, i.e. it is more likely
10 >> than N people will actually co-maintain libraries used by many tools vs
11 >> N people co-maintain 20 alternative sound players (when they are
12 >> unlikely to use more than one at a time).
13 > Somehow I get the impression that "codec" as a scope is still too general.
14 >
15 > For instance, people well acquainted with audio codecs aren't
16 > necessarily well acquainted with video codecs, or image codecs.
17 >
18 > A package that only does audio-playback for instance, won't be of
19 > interest to somebody who predominantly cares about video playback.
20 >
21 > I'm not entirely against it as a concept as-is, I just suspect it will
22 > reiterate the previous problem.
25 As a user, how about media?  Multimedia?  Or would those interfere with
26 other packages?
27
28 I might add, regardless of name, will it be active enough to keep it
29 alive or will it go the same as the last?
30
31 Dale
32