From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SLOTed MySQL or not?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:22:08
1 > Maybe there needs to be an IWANTSLOTS feature or something, because the same
2 > rationale for why I was against a slotted mysql would have other people
3 > against a slotted kde, or slotted perl (ouch, so close to home, even if its
4 > conceptually fictional) - I neither need nor desire having multiple copies of
5 > the application available on one box, when i am only ever going to connect to
6 > one running copy.
7
8 Maybe I'm misreading your comment here, but I don't see how "I only want
9 to install one version" is an argument against having the _ability_ to
10 install multiple versions. Just because you neither need nor desire it
11 doesn't mean it's not extremely useful to many other users.
12
13 > Hmmmm...a feature flag that (where applicable) disabled retaining other slots
14 > might be nice come to think of it....<hijack thread accidently>....disabled
15 > for the packages you need multiples of (berkdb?) but optionally enabled for
16 > packages like WM's and relational DB's where you just might not want more
17 > copies...or to remember to go back and unmerge and track the stray files
18 > for....</end accidental hijack>
19
20 That seems like a lot of work for something that is easily done through:
21
22 emerge --prune -p
23 then
24 emerge --unmerge <the ones you want>