From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:16:53
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 23:49 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
4 > Alright. I've had about enough of your constant and pointless bashing
5 > of everything that we do. Seriously. Grow up.
6 >
7 > Take a step back and come back after you've decided to actually be
8 > *useful* or don't come back, at all. I could really care less which you
9 > choose at this point because your constant pot shots at us make the rest
10 > of your comments completely worthless and tainted.
11 >
12 Er actually, I was taking pot shots at you specifically, wrt your recent
13 outburst against the proctors, which for a Council member just seemed
14 insane, and further for ignoring the technical similarity between the
15 situation with this, and the new ion3 license.
16
17 In that case, tuomov was insisting that releases be updated promptly, as is
18 the case with games and is the case with Skype. ion3 has never been in
19 stable, so never caused this "QA issue" but it was exactly the same demand
20 from the license-holder.
21
22 I have no issue with the vast majority of Gentoo devs, who seem like a
23 really cool, hard-working bunch, and produce a great distro.
24
25 You, sir, however, need to take a break after the work on the new release,
26 as your recent outbursts seem indicative of burn-out, imo.
27
28 > As for policy, nobody said that policy discussions aren't sometimes
29 > technical. There also is *not* another list for this currently, so
30 > there's nowhere else to go with it, especially considering that current
31 > policy does state for Gentoo developers to ask these sort of questions
32 > on this list. As for whether or not to continue this discussion or not,
33 > this _is_ *our* list. We can do with it as we please. If the Gentoo
34 > developers as a whole decided to dedicate this list to pink ponies, we
35 > can. As I see it, this is still a discussion on how to work around the
36 > policies in place with a *TECHNICAL SOLUTION* for this package, which
37 > falls in line perfectly with this list.
38 >
39 Er do what you want with your list, just please stop being so rude and then
40 getting so sensitive about what users say. You set the tone.
41
42 >> Er what? Some of us don't wish to be "at the mercy of" anyone, especially
43 >> not some corporation nicking VOIP. That's why we use GNU software.
44 >
45 > No, it is why *you* use *free* software.
46 >
47 No I meant GNU, or Free with a capital F. Or are you going to tell me what I
48 mean as well as ignore my actual point (which was that this is the same
49 technical issue, with the same technical solution.)
50
51 > Nobody is forcing you to install it, either, so your point is moot. It
52 > is being offered for the people that *do* want it. Also, I dare you to
53 > look at how much software on your system is *not* GNU. Oh crap!
54 > Portage isn't GNU! It must be evil!!!11one1!!
55 >
56 Er, you do know what GPL stands for don't you?
57
58 > Seriously. Please take a few moments to think about what you're writing
59 > before doing so. Maybe if you had said something about FSF-approved or
60 > OSI-approved, but GNU? We aren't Debian.
61 Jeez, someone needs to find out who runs gnu.org (aka the FSF.) Don't you
62 wish you sometimes stopped for a minute before hitting send? Didn't we at
63 one point agree that reply-to munging doesn't help? Seriously, mate, I am
64 not your enemy.
65
66 > Less than 1/25th of the
67 > software on my system is GNU. Less than 1/25th. How those
68 > megalomaniacs can possibly even imply that we owe them recognition on
69 > every Linux system is beyond me. I'm just waiting for the annual "You
70 > should change your name to Gentoo GNU/Linux" email. ;]
71 >
72 Dream on: I have better things to do with my time, so I am now ignoring this
74 email me off-list, feel free, or chat to me in #friendly-coders or pm
75 whenever you like - my nick is igli.
76
77 Thanks for the good work you do for Gentoo; please, consider a fortnight
78 off.
79
80 <Ignore Thread on> Please flame off-list.
84 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list