From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:51:55
1 On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 23:49 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > >> Could you clarify whether this is indeed a Gentoo QA issue, or in fact a
3 > >> licensing issue? If the latter case, this discussion should prob'y go to
4 > >> the new -project ml if and when, or indeed the user forums.
5 > >
6 > > The "problem" with skype is really a problem with our policy. The
7 > > policy is really designed for open source software which we can actually
8 > > "fix" when we find a problem.
9 > Yeah and that's kinda the whole argument against closed-source. I fail to
10 > see how that's the problem of a Free software distro? Further, if it's a
11 > policy issue, why are you guys continuing the thread? Oh I see, when it's
12 > stuff *you* care about, it's development. Cool.
13
14 Alright. I've had about enough of your constant and pointless bashing
15 of everything that we do. Seriously. Grow up.
16
17 Take a step back and come back after you've decided to actually be
18 *useful* or don't come back, at all. I could really care less which you
19 choose at this point because your constant pot shots at us make the rest
20 of your comments completely worthless and tainted.
21
22 As for policy, nobody said that policy discussions aren't sometimes
23 technical. There also is *not* another list for this currently, so
24 there's nowhere else to go with it, especially considering that current
25 policy does state for Gentoo developers to ask these sort of questions
26 on this list. As for whether or not to continue this discussion or not,
27 this _is_ *our* list. We can do with it as we please. If the Gentoo
28 developers as a whole decided to dedicate this list to pink ponies, we
29 can. As I see it, this is still a discussion on how to work around the
30 policies in place with a *TECHNICAL SOLUTION* for this package, which
31 falls in line perfectly with this list.
32
33 > Er what? Some of us don't wish to be "at the mercy of" anyone, especially
34 > not some corporation nicking VOIP. That's why we use GNU software.
35
36 No, it is why *you* use *free* software.
37
38 Nobody is forcing you to install it, either, so your point is moot. It
39 is being offered for the people that *do* want it. Also, I dare you to
40 look at how much software on your system is *not* GNU. Oh crap!
41 Portage isn't GNU! It must be evil!!!11one1!!
42
43 Seriously. Please take a few moments to think about what you're writing
44 before doing so. Maybe if you had said something about FSF-approved or
45 OSI-approved, but GNU? We aren't Debian. Less than 1/25th of the
46 software on my system is GNU. Less than 1/25th. How those
47 megalomaniacs can possibly even imply that we owe them recognition on
48 every Linux system is beyond me. I'm just waiting for the annual "You
49 should change your name to Gentoo GNU/Linux" email. ;]
52 Chris Gianelloni
53 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
54 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
55 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
56 Gentoo Foundation