From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:58:33
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 06:01 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
3 >> Stephen Bennett wrote:
4 >> > Not everyone sees that as a reason not to use a potentially useful
5 >> > piece of software. We're not debian.
6 >>
7 >> Could you clarify whether this is indeed a Gentoo QA issue, or in fact a
8 >> licensing issue? If the latter case, this discussion should prob'y go to
9 >> the new -project ml if and when, or indeed the user forums.
10 >
11 > The "problem" with skype is really a problem with our policy. The
12 > policy is really designed for open source software which we can actually
13 > "fix" when we find a problem.
14 Yeah and that's kinda the whole argument against closed-source. I fail to
15 see how that's the problem of a Free software distro? Further, if it's a
16 policy issue, why are you guys continuing the thread? Oh I see, when it's
17 stuff *you* care about, it's development. Cool.
18
19 > With the closed-source stuff, our policy
20 > should be a bit more lax since we're at the mercy of the upstream.
21 Er what? Some of us don't wish to be "at the mercy of" anyone, especially
22 not some corporation nicking VOIP. That's why we use GNU software.
23
24 > Also, remember that our policy says that 30 days is *suggested* before
25 > stabilization. The maintainer has the authority to ask for
26 > stabilization sooner, even the same day the package is put into the
27 > tree, if there is sufficient reason for doing so.
28 >
29 Whatever; the point is y'all were much more vicious about someone offering
30 all the code under the GPL.. Honestly, this whole email makes me wonder why
31 you work in FOSS. tuomov only wanted to be sure updates were issued
32 promptly. What exactly is the technical difference?
33
34 >> As for potentially useful, so was Internet Explorer, last time I looked
35 >> at what you could do with its Object Model. I still ain't voting to bring
36 >> it to Gentoo.. ;)
37 >
38 > Please refrain from these kinds of "arguments" that have no technical
39 > bearing. Internet Explorer doesn't even *run* on Gentoo. If it did, it
40 > would likely be in the tree since quite a few people would likely use
41 > it, even if just for testing. I know that if I were able to test things
42 > on IE from Linux without having to fire up VMware that I would be quite
43 > happy.
44 >
45 Er let's not get into it. Use WINE or a dual-boot, or VMware, or xen or
46 whatever you want. (It was a joke, hence the wink. Call the proctors..
47 whoops!)
48
49 /me wanders off mumbling about hypocrisy, and thinking about !anarchy in
50 #bash..
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list