From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:45:41
1 On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 06:01 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Stephen Bennett wrote:
3 > > Not everyone sees that as a reason not to use a potentially useful
4 > > piece of software. We're not debian.
5 >
6 > Could you clarify whether this is indeed a Gentoo QA issue, or in fact a
7 > licensing issue? If the latter case, this discussion should prob'y go to
8 > the new -project ml if and when, or indeed the user forums.
9
10 The "problem" with skype is really a problem with our policy. The
11 policy is really designed for open source software which we can actually
12 "fix" when we find a problem. With the closed-source stuff, our policy
13 should be a bit more lax since we're at the mercy of the upstream.
14 Also, remember that our policy says that 30 days is *suggested* before
15 stabilization. The maintainer has the authority to ask for
16 stabilization sooner, even the same day the package is put into the
17 tree, if there is sufficient reason for doing so.
18
19 > As for potentially useful, so was Internet Explorer, last time I looked at
20 > what you could do with its Object Model. I still ain't voting to bring it
21 > to Gentoo.. ;)
22
23 Please refrain from these kinds of "arguments" that have no technical
24 bearing. Internet Explorer doesn't even *run* on Gentoo. If it did, it
25 would likely be in the tree since quite a few people would likely use
26 it, even if just for testing. I know that if I were able to test things
27 on IE from Linux without having to fire up VMware that I would be quite
28 happy.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
33 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
34 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
35 Gentoo Foundation