From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UPower upstream (git master) and 0.99 release -> No sys-power/pm-utils support anymore
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 13:53:51
1 On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > To prevent OpenRC users from installing this version because it's
3 > an old UPower with no pm-utils support, with no hibernate/suspend support,
4 > to ensure desktops don't end up with greyed out Hibernate/Suspend
5 > buttons
6
7 So, I get why you did it, but my concern is that when you tell portage
8 that non-systemd users shouldn't use this package, portage helpfully
9 solves that problem by turning all the non-systemd users into systemd
10 users, instead of switching them to the alternative that works without
11 systemd.
12
13 Whatever - short of profiles/mix-ins or whatever you want to do on a
14 big scale there isn't a simple solution to problems like this. It
15 just isn't obvious to users who haven't read GMN that there is a
16 simple fix. Even users who do read GMN might get confused by the
17 version number issue, as the change impacts stable users who aren't
18 using the version of upower mentioned in GMN.
19
20 Plus, GMN isn't in-your-face like portage news.
21
22 Rich