From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Proposal for addition of distribution variables
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 02:58:34
1 On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 6:31 PM, A. Wilcox <awilfox@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Roadmap
3 > - -------
4 >
5 > Since the shell environment is flexible, this change can be
6 > implemented almost immediately; the defaults specified in the Gentoo
7 > base profile ensure that at worst nothing will immediately change. As
8 > forks, derivatives, and other organisations change the environment
9 > variables in their profiles or ``make.conf`` files, all updated
10 > ebuilds will immediately reflect the changes.
11 >
12 > During this, the variables can be added to the EAPI=7 specification,
13 > and may eventually be added to PMS §11.1.
14
15 It's not clear to me why this should be defined in PMS, especially if
16 this is going to be a profile variable in make.defaults.
17
18 I think we would only need to add it to PMS if you need to package
19 manager to compute the value based on the running system. Is that what
20 you had in mind here? If so, you will need to include that algorithm
21 in your patch.