From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Proposal for addition of distribution variables
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 03:13:37
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 04/12/16 20:58, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 > On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 6:31 PM, A. Wilcox <awilfox@×××××××××××.org>
6 > wrote:
7 >> Roadmap - -------
8 >>
9 >> Since the shell environment is flexible, this change can be
10 >> implemented almost immediately; the defaults specified in the
11 >> Gentoo base profile ensure that at worst nothing will immediately
12 >> change. As forks, derivatives, and other organisations change
13 >> the environment variables in their profiles or ``make.conf``
14 >> files, all updated ebuilds will immediately reflect the changes.
15 >>
16 >> During this, the variables can be added to the EAPI=7
17 >> specification, and may eventually be added to PMS §11.1.
18 >
19 > It's not clear to me why this should be defined in PMS, especially
20 > if this is going to be a profile variable in make.defaults.
23 > I think we would only need to add it to PMS if you need to package
24 > manager to compute the value based on the running system. Is that
25 > what you had in mind here? If so, you will need to include that
26 > algorithm in your patch.
29 Thinking on it a little more, that wouldn't be a good way to go. We
30 can't really rely on lsb_release being present, especially if Portage
31 is being run on FreeBSD or a more exotic prefix; sys-apps/lsb-release
32 isn't even installed on my relatively 'normal' amd64 Gentoo Linux
33 machine. Additionally, it wouldn't have the bug URL even if it were
34 present.
35
36 We can therefore strike the PMS bits and the patch from the proposal.
39 If there are no other objections to this proposal, would a PR that
40 implements this against the Gentoo tree be the best way forward? If
41 so, I can start work on that now while giving more people the chance
42 to read over it. (Would it be more desirable to have all changes in a
43 single large commit, or one commit per package?)
44
45 Best,
46 - --arw
47