From: Matt Tucker <tuck@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:17:28
1 -- John Robinson <strider@××××××.net> spake thusly:
2
3 > Q: Shouldn't we list the two packages for an interactive choice when
4 > two or more are available?
5 >
6 > A: Interactive choice is against the design of emerge. We need to be
7 > able to use it more easily in scripts than that would allow. The best
8 > we can do is to generate an error with that information and let the
9 > user pick and re-run emerge.
10
11 <snip>
12
13 > Is there a reason why emerge couldn't have a command line switch to
14 > cause it to deviate from its current behavior and give the user an
15 > interactive choice? I gather that the error-choice option is currently
16 > in the bugs db waiting for implementation, but a lot of users have
17 > seemed to like the idea of the interactive option, which I think a
18 > command line switch could integrate well. Is there a reason why this
19 > should be avoided?
20
21 Another option would be to allow emerge to be interactive when run from
22 a shell and to throw errors or make assumptions at other times. This
23 would be similar to the way ls shows colored output when run from a
24 shell, but not when piped to less or run from a script.
25
26 If a switch were used, I would suggest defaulting to interactive
27 behavior with a switch to disable it.
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list