From: John Robinson <strider@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:31:16
1 > Another option would be to allow emerge to be interactive when run from
2 > a shell and to throw errors or make assumptions at other times. This
3 > would be similar to the way ls shows colored output when run from a
4 > shell, but not when piped to less or run from a script.
5
6 If I'm not mistaken, LS outputs color input (if it's told to) all the
7 time, and it is filtered by other programs. Maybe a shell programmer can
8 comment, 'cause I'm not much of one, but is there a way to ascertain the
9 context in which a script is run? I didn't think there was one.
10
11 > If a switch were used, I would suggest defaulting to interactive
12 > behavior with a switch to disable it.
13
14 While I agree in theory, in practice this would break any script that
15 assumes non-interactive behavior as the default. Given that, I think the
16 only option is the reverse.
17
18 - John Robinson
22 Love justice; desire mercy.