From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] to patch or sed was -> repoman and checking for correct quoting
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:53:25
1 On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 18:36 +0100, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 11:51:37AM +0100, Krzysiek Pawlik wrote:
3 > > It's purpose is to remove the ${D} from makefile, additionally ${D} is in single
4 > > quotes, so it will not be expanded - is it a bug in repoman check?
5 >
6 > What ${D} ? I see none in that makefile. Which is why I think a patch would be
7 > better in this case. A patch would actually tell you when half of the
8 > substitutions don't match anything... I think this is a point worth making even
9 > if it doesn't change your point.
10
11 I have kinda gone back and forth between patches and sed. While I agree
12 patches are better since they fail to apply at times. Sed stuff can be
13 more portable amongst revisions, as I have found with maintaining assp.
14 Where the patch grew to the point it had to be mirrored :(.
15
16 Now I know some will scream, puke, throw up in their mouth, and so on.
17 But seems like sed should have an OPTIONAL argument or etc to tell sed
18 to either fail if it can't make the change anywhere. And/or keep/output
19 a count of how many things were modified.
20
21 Wrt to assp, how I am presently using it, is on a rev bump or etc. I
22 will have to ebuild run it's sed. Then I will diff the installed version
23 that was sed during merge with the original. Then review that diff/patch
24 to make sure all was modified per the sed. If not address the sed. Once
25 the resulting diff/patch is what it would be if I were using a patch.
26 Then I commit the ebuild.
27
28 Where I had to make a patch per assp version. The above technique
29 allowed me to rip through testing 3 different versions with the same sed
30 for each. Verses having to make 3 different patches for each. It seems
31 much faster and way more ideal.
32
33 There is still the possibility of sed failing. But since I rule that out
34 before commit. Once committed chance of it failing is pretty nill. Not
35 to mention no external files. Less to maintain. less for users to sync,
36 download, etc.
37
38 It's a really hard call, but for most single line modifications. These
39 days I am really leaning toward sed vs patches.
42 William L. Thomson Jr.
43 Gentoo/Java