From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:05:56
1 On Thursday 14 May 2009 20:39:07 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:06:51 +0200
3 >
4 > Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
5 > > "You need to know the EAPI to parse the ebuild to find the EAPI"
6 > > Obviously that's not true, because somehow we manage at the moment.
7 > > And if one does a small restriction (which doesn't restrict current
8 > > behaviour because all in-tree ebuilds currently fit within this
9 > > limitation) it becomes trivial again:
10 > >
11 > > Let EAPI be defined as (the part behind the = of) the first line of
12 > > the ebuild starting with EAPI=
13 >
14 > Uh, so horribly utterly and obviously wrong.
15 >
16 > inherit foo
17 > EAPI=4
18 >
19 > where foo is both a global and a non-global eclass that sets metadata.
20 Interesting, but quite subtly wrong. I'm surprised that you try to slip such
21 an obvious logical mistake in in an attempt to save your arguments.
22
23 > If you're looking for a formally correct alternative that works in the
24 > way you suggest, I already provided one, and you already read about it
25 > -- and it still doesn't solve the problems that 55 does.
26 And glep55 doesn't solve the problem either. It's neither formal nor correct,
27 plus in this case ... what on earth are you trying to communicate?
28
29 > > "It's slower!"
30 > > The theory here being that a stat() is needed if it is encoded in the
31 > > filename, but a stat() followed by an open() to parse it from the
32 > > file. Well then, just cache it! You can use the mtime to check the
33 > > cache validity (which means you do a stat() anyway, so with glep55
34 > > caching it is actually slower!), and then you have to parse the
35 > > ebuild anyway for the other metadata. So the "extra" cost of finding
36 > > the EAPI is ... what extra cost? The only case when it is actually
37 > > slower is when there is no cache because then you have to parse the
38 > > ebuild. But that "degenerate" case will only hit some overlay users
39 > > and people like developers that can wait .3 seconds longer. And ...
40 > > uhm ... to extract other metadata like DEPENDS you'll have to parse
41 > > it anyway.
42 > Where on earth are you getting the idea that GLEP 55 makes things
43 > slower? The only difference to the code with GLEP 55 is in checking
44 > file extensions against a slightly larger set of strings, which is
45 > nowhere near a measurable increase in anything. You're claiming that
46 > checking for a suffix of either ".ebuild-4" or ".ebuild" against a
47 > fixed string is in any way relevant, which is obviously trolling.
48 That is quite definitely not my point. I mean, hombre, did you even READ my
49 email, or do you just apply prewritten text blocks in the hope of solving
50 issues like most "technical" "support" does?
51
52 > There is no existing version ordering solution that accurately
53 > represents upstream scm branches.
54 Ah. Thanks. At last you say in clear words that GLEP54 doesn't actually solve
55 the problem either. So we can safely keep it buried ...
56
57 > > A few words in closing -
58 > >
59 > > We can encode all the relevant info in "the first line of the ebuild
60 > > starting with EAPI="
61 >
62 > No we can't. That's *obviously* completely wrong.
63 >
64 It's obviously quite specifically not. Can you show any case where that fails
65 or where adding this restriction removes relevant functionality?
66
67 > > The overhead of parsing out this value for all ebuilds in the tree
68 > > has been timed at ~2 CPU-seconds by solar. It's negligible.
69 >
70 > Those of us who have been measuring this have been discarding CPU time
71 > entirely, since it's utterly irrelevant. That you bring CPU time into
72 > this shows you've been deliberately ignoring everything we've said.
73 Eh, I already smashed the disk seek time argument somewhere up there. It
74 amortizes quite nicely. And you are ignoring everything I say just to make a
75 point that is not even wrong anymore.
76
77 > We all know you're not stupid enough to believe what you've been
78 > posting or ignorant enough to miss the point so badly. So please stop
79 > pretending -- this issue would have gone through a long time ago were
80 > it not for you and your ilk deliberately pretending to be retarded so
81 > you can raise straw man arguments against it rather than addressing the
82 > issues at hand. You're doing both yourself and everyone else a huge
83 > disfavour by acting dumb and assuming everyone else is going to play
84 > along with that.
85 Hey. Wow. I'll keep that to post it whenever you try to insult, confuse or
86 obfuscate issues to get your ideas pushed in. It describes you so wonderfully
87 precise how only your own words can do.
88
89 Now, thanks for the logical fallacies (I think you've missed at least one, but
90 I haven't been looking carefully) and the attempt at a personal attack. It's
91 quite great, but this mailing list is definitely not the place for it.
92
93 Now can we please get back to _debating_ things instead of wargharbling?
94
95 Thanks,
96
97 el meow