From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 20:44:08
1 On 09/09/14 15:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Let's keep it short: I think herds don't serve any special purpose
4 >> nowadays. Their existence is mostly resulting in lack of consistency
5 >> and inconveniences.
6 >>
7 > The original design was that packages belong to herds, and developers
8 > belong to projects. Projects might maintain a herd.
9 >
10 > The problem is that this isn't followed with 100% rigor, and the extra
11 > level of indirection probably doesn't make bug things easier.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure what we lose by getting rid of herds vs just listing
14 > projects as maintainers. Maybe herds are useful as a form of tag, but
15 > if we really wanted that it would make more sense to just have tags of
16 > some kind.
17
18 I can live with collapsing herds into projects as long as we keep some
19 system where groups of packages come under the care of groups of
20 developers. Eg. coreutils is maintained by base-system, or drupal is
21 maintained by web-app, etc. But we do loose something. I like being on
22 the bugzilla cc list of lots of herd where I'm not really a member of
23 the project taking care of that herd. I'm on both base-system@ and
24 web-app@ aliases, but I'm not a member of base-system while I am a
25 member of web-app.
28 > --
29 > Rich
34 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
35 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
36 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
37 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
38 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA