From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 22:23:32
1 Dnia 2014-09-09, o godz. 16:46:29
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 09/09/14 15:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Let's keep it short: I think herds don't serve any special purpose
7 > >> nowadays. Their existence is mostly resulting in lack of consistency
8 > >> and inconveniences.
9 > >>
10 > > The original design was that packages belong to herds, and developers
11 > > belong to projects. Projects might maintain a herd.
12 > >
13 > > The problem is that this isn't followed with 100% rigor, and the extra
14 > > level of indirection probably doesn't make bug things easier.
15 > >
16 > > I'm not sure what we lose by getting rid of herds vs just listing
17 > > projects as maintainers. Maybe herds are useful as a form of tag, but
18 > > if we really wanted that it would make more sense to just have tags of
19 > > some kind.
20 >
21 > I can live with collapsing herds into projects as long as we keep some
22 > system where groups of packages come under the care of groups of
23 > developers. Eg. coreutils is maintained by base-system, or drupal is
24 > maintained by web-app, etc. But we do loose something. I like being on
25 > the bugzilla cc list of lots of herd where I'm not really a member of
26 > the project taking care of that herd. I'm on both base-system@ and
27 > web-app@ aliases, but I'm not a member of base-system while I am a
28 > member of web-app.
29
30 I don't understand your concern. I'm only saying we should stop relying
31 on that stupid out-of-repository herds.xml file and put the e-mail
32 address directly in metadata.xml. Bugzilla and bug assignment would
33 work pretty much the same -- except that you wouldn't have to scan one
34 more file to get the e-mail you're looking for.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny