From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:21:20
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 07:44 -0400, Peter wrote:
2 > Firstly, I think it is very clear that anything in sunrise is experimental
3 > or not supported in the main gentoo tree. That's fine! I don't think any
4 > user who goes through the trouble to set up an overlay would miss that
5 > point. You can't go to o.g.o and not see the disclaimers. And, anyone who
6 > goes through the trouble to svn the overlay, edit make.conf, etc., would
7 > not be an ignorant newbie (no disrespect to newbies intended). Anyone who
8 > fetches the sunrise overlay would know exactly what he/she intends to do
9 > and why. Much different than emerge --sync with keyword x86.
10
11 Sorry, but if it isn't supported, it doesn't belong on Gentoo
12 infrastructure.
13
14 > Secondly, my bias against a third party repository is perhaps unwarranted.
15 > I am sure the bmg site is excellent and the people running it are
16 > well-intentioned and experienced. However, that said, as a user, I have a
17 > higher comfort level staying in the gentoo.realm.
18
19 Again, you are *proving* the point on why this would be bad. It would
20 be not nearly as well maintained, yet users such as yourself will have
21 this rose-colored perception that "it's from Gentoo, so it must be
22 good." This is the *exact* thing that I am trying to avoid. This will
23 *not* be from Gentoo and it will *not* be good.
24
25 > Thirdly, the opportunity to be able to publish ebuilds that would
26 > otherwise languish in bugzilla is very exciting. I think it also gives the
27 > bugday people an opportunity to close out bugs. Despite what others have
28 > written, having multi-year old bugs is very counter productive. If
29 > something has not been fixed in so long, it probably either can't be
30 > fixed, or may not even apply anymore. I know this is a generalization, but
31 > if a bug was filed against gentoo 2004.3, who knows if it still applies
32 > with gentoo 2006.0. Especially if there has been little or no activity.
33
34 Perhaps there is no activity because the interest is not there? Nobody
35 seems to be taking this into account.
36
37 If you really think your package should be added to the tree, then add
38 yourself to CC, get your friends on CC, drum up some support in the
39 forums, find yourself a developer to proxy maintain for you. We don't
40 need a dumping ground for abandoned or little-use ebuilds.
41
42 > Personally, I don't see the conflict, or the risk, or the additional work
43 > for devs. In fact, I see the opposite. Removing maintainer-wanted bugs is
44 > a net positive. If that means the proposed ebuild lives in o.g.o that's
45 > fine. Just point users who see the bug over to it. And, if an ebuild
46 > proves to be useful, or popular, it's conceivable that it could ultimately
47 > find its way over to the main tree.
48
49 Well, I've done about as good as I can do to point out how it would be
50 additional work and a major risk. If you cannot see it, there's not
51 much else I can do. Luckily, a growing number of official developers
52 *do* see the risks and are taking a stand against this egregious waste
53 of time.
54
55 > As for the more sinister aspects of a rogue ebuild finding its way onto
56 > o.g.o, sure that's a possibility. However, any dev could do the same in
57 > portage because they have commit access (and the problem may not be
58 > caught right away). Moreover, it's possible that an ebuild may be fine,
59 > but a particular version of a package tarball could have outright
60 > malicious code or an undetected security hole in it that has not been
61 > caught yet. That could find its way onto portage too. IMHO, I don't see
62 > any more risk to security in o.g.o.
63
64 Sure, a developer could be a risk, but they've gone through much more
65 extensive checking and testing than some user who submitted an ebuild to
66 a bug.
67
68 > Again, I think you need to consider your audience for o.g.o. The newbie
69 > won't be there or be syncing to o.g.o. The server admin probably would not
70 > be there either for updating a production machine. I think the main
71 > audience for o.g.o. would be the power user, or the wannabe power user or
72 > certain project teams, or people with a particular interest or need in a
73 > project not hosted on the main tree -- that is people who actively need
74 > sunrise's services.
75
76 You're absolutely right. We need to think of the audience. The
77 overlays.gentoo.org project was touted as a way to foster the community
78 and to help *developers* develop things that might be intrusive to the
79 portage tree, as well as allow for easier non-developer contributions.
80 It was *never* touted as a place where we would allow dumping of
81 half-correct, unsupported, and only marginally quality ebuilds for mass
82 user consumption.
83
84 > And, looking at this from a broader perspective, I see this as a real
85 > enhancement to gentoo. Offering an experimental tree for packages not
86 > intended or not wanted in the main tree. This is an added benefit, it
87 > demonstrates a policy of inclusion, not exclusion. It shows a willingness
88 > to push the envelope and give certain packages a home where they would not
89 > normally get one.
90
91 It also shows that we're not concerned with quality or providing a
92 consistent experience where things are meant to work together. It shows
93 our complete lack of commitment to the safety of our users. It shows
94 that we really are nothing more than a bunch of ricers that will take
95 the quick and easy approach, rather than doing things right.
96
97 No thanks...
100 Chris Gianelloni
101 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
102 x86 Architecture Team
103 Games - Developer
104 Gentoo Linux