From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:52:37
1 On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:08:01 +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 06:31:43PM -0400, Peter wrote:
4 >> And, for me again as a user, using a gentoo-hosted overlay is
5 >> preferable to a third party repository. This is a personal bias on my
6 >> part -- and maybe unwarranted.
7 >
8 > This is actually my main concern with the Sunrice project. You say you
9 > would prefer a gentoo-hosted overlay to a third party repository. Why is
10 > that? I can only assume it's because you think "hey, it's officially
11 > endorsed by Gentoo, the same people who maintain the other official
12 > ebuilds - so it must be ok".
13 >
14 > I suspect most users will think similar and will come yelling at us, or
15 > even worse - at upstream, when something in this overlay breaks and
16 > leaves their computer as expensive paper weight (at least until they've
17 > formattet and started over).
18 >
19 > Regards,
20 > Brix
21
22 I don't think so. I look forward to the sunrise (sorry I called it
23 sunshine earlier, it was late) project because of two reasons.
24
25 Firstly, I think it is very clear that anything in sunrise is experimental
26 or not supported in the main gentoo tree. That's fine! I don't think any
27 user who goes through the trouble to set up an overlay would miss that
28 point. You can't go to o.g.o and not see the disclaimers. And, anyone who
29 goes through the trouble to svn the overlay, edit make.conf, etc., would
30 not be an ignorant newbie (no disrespect to newbies intended). Anyone who
31 fetches the sunrise overlay would know exactly what he/she intends to do
32 and why. Much different than emerge --sync with keyword x86.
33
34 Secondly, my bias against a third party repository is perhaps unwarranted.
35 I am sure the bmg site is excellent and the people running it are
36 well-intentioned and experienced. However, that said, as a user, I have a
37 higher comfort level staying in the gentoo.realm.
38
39 Thirdly, the opportunity to be able to publish ebuilds that would
40 otherwise languish in bugzilla is very exciting. I think it also gives the
41 bugday people an opportunity to close out bugs. Despite what others have
42 written, having multi-year old bugs is very counter productive. If
43 something has not been fixed in so long, it probably either can't be
44 fixed, or may not even apply anymore. I know this is a generalization, but
45 if a bug was filed against gentoo 2004.3, who knows if it still applies
46 with gentoo 2006.0. Especially if there has been little or no activity.
47
48 Personally, I don't see the conflict, or the risk, or the additional work
49 for devs. In fact, I see the opposite. Removing maintainer-wanted bugs is
50 a net positive. If that means the proposed ebuild lives in o.g.o that's
51 fine. Just point users who see the bug over to it. And, if an ebuild
52 proves to be useful, or popular, it's conceivable that it could ultimately
53 find its way over to the main tree.
54
55 As for the more sinister aspects of a rogue ebuild finding its way onto
56 o.g.o, sure that's a possibility. However, any dev could do the same in
57 portage because they have commit access (and the problem may not be
58 caught right away). Moreover, it's possible that an ebuild may be fine,
59 but a particular version of a package tarball could have outright
60 malicious code or an undetected security hole in it that has not been
61 caught yet. That could find its way onto portage too. IMHO, I don't see
62 any more risk to security in o.g.o.
63
64 Again, I think you need to consider your audience for o.g.o. The newbie
65 won't be there or be syncing to o.g.o. The server admin probably would not
66 be there either for updating a production machine. I think the main
67 audience for o.g.o. would be the power user, or the wannabe power user or
68 certain project teams, or people with a particular interest or need in a
69 project not hosted on the main tree -- that is people who actively need
70 sunrise's services.
71
72 And, looking at this from a broader perspective, I see this as a real
73 enhancement to gentoo. Offering an experimental tree for packages not
74 intended or not wanted in the main tree. This is an added benefit, it
75 demonstrates a policy of inclusion, not exclusion. It shows a willingness
76 to push the envelope and give certain packages a home where they would not
77 normally get one.
80 Peter
84 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list