From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New to Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:32:26
1 "Bruce A. Locke" wrote:
2
3 > Hello... I've been lurking around on the mailing list for probably over a
4 > month now and have been playing around with Gentoo 1.0_rc4_pre2 under
5 > vmware. I would like to convert my Linux desktop machine and test box to
6 > Gentoo and have a couple questions:
7 >
8 > First, how does one successfully upgrade a default 1.0_rc4_pre2 install to
9 > the newest version of portage? I tried doing an rsync of the portage tree
10 > then doing a ebuild merge but whenever I try to merge other packages, etc I
11 > get weird python errors.
12
13 Did you upgrade portage or does this errors occure with the version installed?
14
15 If you want to upgrade packages you should only use the ones listed in
16 current-packages.new because
17 there is alot of work going on for rc4 final and you can consider that the
18 lates revisions in the tree
19 are in development.
20
21 > I saw the mention of a last minute python patch on
22 > the mailing list and wonder if it is related. How exactly have all of you
23 > been upgrading to the latest portage versions? :) Also I've seen mention of
24 > work on autodependencies, etc... how far has that work progressed?
25
26 The dependencies for rc4_pre2 are fairly stable. Currently I reqork
27 dependencies in a way that
28 they work with a minimum build environment. The rc4_pre2 ones depend on the
29 packages in sys.tbz2 wich is
30 a minimum runtime environbment.
31 Additionally I add alot of flags which can profile your system. For example if
32 you define the X flag all packages
33 that have X support are build with X support...
37 > Second, is the ebuild file format now stable enough for people to start
38 > package development? is there a quick howto coming down the pipeline
39 > explaining the system or is the only documention to RTFS? ;)
40
41 The only docs available are three man pages in sys-apps/portage/files/man. :-/
45 > Third, I don't see any mention of DHCP in networking scripts. Is there a
46 > clean way to quickly implement DHCP client support in the existing scripts
47 > without rm'ing the template eth0 example?
48
49 There is no dhcpclient script at the moment. But we will have reqorked sysv
50 scripts in rc4 that support dhcp.
54 > Thanks for your time...
55
56 You are welcome