From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPIs 1 and 2?
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 21:05:46
1 On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 19:24:14 +0000
2 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 > Some other interesting things along the way:-
4 > You need to incrementally update gcc and glibc as there is some
5 > mutual blockage there too.
6 > libpng-1.2, xorg and libexpat too if the box is old enough. How far
7 > do you want to go back?
8 >
9 > Its a very educational experience but a reinstall is faster.
10 > The real killer is that some core system packages need EAPI>0 to
11 > build.
12 >
13 > Personally, I don't regard tinderbox as any part of any officially
14 > supported upgrade path.
15
16 Up until the present EAPI era, we've supported upgrading from very
17 ancient systems. We've never required users to completely reinstall.
18 Check our upgrade doc:
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
21
22 There's a constant stream of help requests on the forums and IRC from
23 folks upgrading from years-old installations. Usually it's from fokls
24 who've been given some never-updated, faithfully running Gentoo
25 server, sometimes from the pre-2004.X days. Our upgrade instructions
26 work to a point, and then Portage/python and other system packages
27 stop working, thanks to the differing EAPI versions. And *then*, as
28 Roy mentioned, there's the whole separate
29 rebuild-expat-and-similar-libs sequence of failures.
30
31 These are the kinds of things for which there's no canonical,
32 official upgrade path. It's entirely trial-by-error, which sucks for
33 end users who were expecting to follow our upgrade guide as-is, but
34 then the EAPI shifts bit 'em in the butt. Users should not be told
35 "just reinstall," since often that's not an option.
36
37 Whatever you folks eventually settle on, please send patches and
38 suggestions to the GDP for our upgrade guide. I'd prefer that users
39 have a possible upgrade path from *any* profile/version of Gentoo up
40 through the present. If you decide not to support anything older than
41 version X and require reinstalling or some other set of procedures,
42 please let the GDP know via our ML or bugzilla.