From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPIs 1 and 2?
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 19:25:09
1 On 2011.01.02 16:02, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2011 05:19 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
6 > > One way we could drop EAPI 0 would be if we do a major review of
7 > tree
8 > > and repo formats to improve upgrade paths, which would however
9 > likely
10 > > require breaking backwards compatibility at such point.
11 > > I believe such a change would only be acceptable, if we would pack
12 > > enough features and safety measures that it would ensure another
13 > break
14 > > would not need to be done for a long time.
17 > It's quite likely that if you are currently on a system with Portage
18 > that does not understand EAPI 1 there's so many obstacles along the
19 > upgrade path that a clean install makes more sense. Maybe someone is
20 > willing to test this so that we actually know if there is an upgrade
21 > path from EAPI 0 available any more.
22 >
23 > Regards,
24 > Petteri
28 There is an upgrade path from a pure EAPI0 system but it starts with a
29 visit to the tinderbox as portage and python block one another.
30
31 Some other interesting things along the way:-
32 You need to incrementally update gcc and glibc as there is some
33 mutual blockage there too.
34 libpng-1.2, xorg and libexpat too if the box is old enough. How far do
35 you want to go back?
36
37 Its a very educational experience but a reinstall is faster.
38 The real killer is that some core system packages need EAPI>0 to build.
39
40 Personally, I don't regard tinderbox as any part of any officially
41 supported upgrade path.
44 Regards,
45
46 Roy Bamford