From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPIs 1 and 2?
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:03:41
1 On 01/02/2011 05:19 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 > One way we could drop EAPI 0 would be if we do a major review of tree
6 > and repo formats to improve upgrade paths, which would however likely
7 > require breaking backwards compatibility at such point.
8 > I believe such a change would only be acceptable, if we would pack
9 > enough features and safety measures that it would ensure another break
10 > would not need to be done for a long time.
13 It's quite likely that if you are currently on a system with Portage
14 that does not understand EAPI 1 there's so many obstacles along the
15 upgrade path that a clean install makes more sense. Maybe someone is
16 willing to test this so that we actually know if there is an upgrade
17 path from EAPI 0 available any more.
18
19 Regards,
20 Petteri