From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 15:27:48
1 On Sat, 5 May 2007 17:12:03 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3 > Guess you never looked at the various elog modules in portage-2.1 then
4 > which provide the same (I'd say even more) flexibility how and when
5 > you want to read such stuff
6
7 But they don't do so by default.
8
9 > Why does every discussion recently have to come down to this
10 > argument? I couldn't care less wether this was about paludis,
11 > pkgcore, portage, mysql, subversion, kde, gnome, vim, emacs, apache
12 > or whatever, a g42 news item shouldn't be issued for minor syntax
13 > changes in config files that could just as well handled completely
14 > automatically in postinst/CONFIG_PROTECT.
15
16 They can't automatically be handled in postinst.
17
18 > > As has already been pointed out, only paludis users would see
19 > > the news item that you are all bitching about, so if you guys don't
20 > > use paludis, why do you care?
21 >
22 > The point is that it sets a precedence. After all some people might be
23 > silly enough to expect the tree to be somewhat consistent when it
24 > comes to such things. There was a reason why I asked in the original
25 > discussion about glep 42 how many news items might potentially exist
26 > at any given point in time (back then the answer was "not so many").
27 > And if there really is going to be a news item for every triviality
28 > in the tree not only will people over time become trained to ignore
29 > them but also the overhead will get quite annoying.
30
31 We have already established that this news item is not a triviality and
32 that the people who will see it will want to see it.
33
34 > > If you happen to maintain packages and
35 > > you feel like providing news will piss your users off, then don't
36 > > provide it. Experience has shown that paludis users like these news
37 > > items, which is another point that you and others are ignoring.
38 >
39 > (My) Experience has also shown that gentoo-x86/portage users like the
40 > elog features in portage, so stop with those games, they don't get us
41 > anywhere.
42
43 They prefer it to not having anything at all. There is plenty of reason
44 to believe that they would prefer news to elog in this situation were
45 that option available to them.
48 Ciaran McCreesh