From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:49:14
1 Fabian Groffen kirjoitti:
2 > On 20-04-2007 08:22:42 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> does anyone actually find this useful ? i think ive used the value in there
4 >> like once (when in reality a `md5sum` would have worked just as well) ...
5 >> otherwise, from my perspective:
6 >> - it causes annoying bogus hunks in diffs
7 >> - not uncommon for people to contact me as the maintainer because i'm in that
8 >> - wastes space (well, probably not a strong argument due to bytes vs blocks)
9 >> - for mostly green users, it's confusing and they get it wrong
10 >
11 > I use it to make deltas of changes made in the tree, and apply those
12 > deltas on the overlay I'm using. Without $Header: $ there I have no way
13 > to actually see which version I'm dealing with, so which revisions to
14 > retrieve for differences.
15 > For that reason, I prefer as much files as possible in the tree to have
16 > a $Header: $ somewhere, so I can easily sync, keeping my local changes.
19 Is the info you need in CVS/ ?
20
21 Regards,
22 Petteri