From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Signing everything, for fun and for profit
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:28:04
1 On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 10:46 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > The only attack most people really care about is a compromised rsync
3 > server. There is no practical way to protect against the other attacks
4 > - and at the end of the day, if a developer gets compromised it
5 > doesn't matter whether it's a gpg key or ssh key, the effect is the
6 > same.
7 The difference is how you handle any problems. You can't avoid it, but
8 you can reduce the impact.
9
10 > The discussion about which files to sign is pointless - the extra
11 > computational cost of signing all files in the tree is insignificant,
12 > and how are we supposed to know how future tools will handle things
13 > like the licenses? Just do it properly now and sign every file.
14 In theory yes.
15 Practically you have to find a non-intrusive way so signatures are per
16 file.
17 There are potential problems with "special" files like package.mask that
18 will be modified often by different people ... signing that is a bit
19 silly
20
21 > We already trust the master cvs server admins (and they could just
22 > replace the whole tree anyway), so what benefit does a distributed
23 > signing system like gpg actually give to the developers or users? I
24 > can't see any that are worth the costs of key management (and there
25 > are costs, otherwise a system would've been put into place years
26 > ago).
27 No central authority --> no single point of failure
28
29 Give me a central server and I will focus on hacking that ... hacking 50
30 developers is much harder ;-)
31
32 > So my simple proposal would be to use a single key, and a post-commit
33 > cvs hook to sign the whole tree. It takes me 1.5 seconds with gnupg to
34 > generate a signature covering the whole tree on my desktop here. I
35 > don't know how many commits per day there are (and maybe that would be
36 > reduced with an atomic commit system like svn), so I don't know if
37 > this is an acceptable cost. I think it probably is, but if not, then
38 > signing could be done per-directory.
39 I don't see what that gains you ... what exactly does this signature
40 express?
41 and 1.5sec doesn't appear realistic to me, I'd expect it to take ~1
42 minute even on a fast system
43
44 > The benefits of this would be that changes are minimised - developers
45 > and users act the same, the impact on the tree is a 191 byte
46 > signature, and yet it will protect against the most likely and most
47 > practical form of attack.
48 So ... DoS scenario
49 I just add one byte to the tree and the signature fails ... what then?
50
51 > I was much more pro-distributed trust system in 2003 (or whenever this
52 > was last discussed), but I think the right solution now is the
53 > practical, easy to implement one.
54 I think I'd prefer a hybrid.
55
56 One possibillity would be:
57 - every dev signs as it is done now
58 - post commit an automated signature from a master key is added
59
60 so the normal user can check the master signature, and the paranoid
61 people can use the per-dev keys.
62
63 Where I fully agree is "practical" and "low impact" - it should be easy
64 to use so that everyone can use it without lots of configuring. This of
65 course limits the complexity that we can allow.
68 wkr,
69 Patrick
70 --
71 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move