From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New lists and their usage
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:10:48
1 "Nathan Smith" <ndansmith@×××××.com> posted
2 b49843710707201553p29dcfcffq6b7f2710154767e4@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:53:02 -0700:
4
5 > On 7/20/07, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >> gentoo-projects: This list is for... what exactly? I've not really
8 >> figured that one out just yet. I know it is supposed to be pretty much
9 >> anything that doesn't fit into gentoo-dev or another project-specific
10 >> list. Am I correct here? Is this what everyone thinks this list is
11 >> supposed to be used for?
12 >
13 > From what I can tell by reading the logs of the council meeting [1], the
14 > purpose of -project is to keep "all the flamewars and bitching" off the
15 > -dev list. However, it seems that moderating -dev should accomplish
16 > that purpose, so I question the need for its existence. If it is not
17 > required reading for developers, how is it substantively different from
18 > -user?
19 >
20 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20070614.txt
21
22 Hopefully, dev won't end up needing moderated after all, after project is
23 up and running well, and the outgoing council decides to take a pass on
24 it at their last (August) meeting, both to let that happen, and to let
25 the new council make that decision.
26
27 project will ideally reduce dev traffic by half, possibly more, if people
28 can self-moderate, thus hopefully eliminating the need for moderation.
29 Given the controversial aspect, if self-moderation can work, it'd be
30 better to keep it to that.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list