From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New keywords for non-Gentoo Linux platforms
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:12:43
1 Hi all,
2
3 In the Prefix project we support a bunch of Linux and non-Linux
4 platforms, for which we use GLEP53-style[1] keywords. The current list
5 of keywords known in Prefix are (in no particular order):
6
7 ppc-aix
8 x86-freebsd
9 ia64-hpux
10 hppa-hpux
11 x86-interix
12 mips-irix
13 amd64-linux
14 x86-linux
15 ppc-macos
16 x86-macos
17 x86-netbsd
18 ppc-openbsd
19 x86-openbsd
20 x64-openbsd
21 sparc-solaris
22 sparc64-solaris
23 x64-solaris
24 x86-solaris
25 x86-winnt
26
27 Most notably, in Prefix all keywords are full GLEP53 style, which
28 results in e.g. amd64-linux. We did this on purpose, because in Prefix
29 we don't necessarily are on Gentoo Linux. We also chose to expand fbsd,
30 nbsd and obsd to their long variants, mainly because the short variants
31 might clash in the future, for e.g. OpenBSD, OliveBSD or PicoBSD,
32 polyBSD or DragonflyBSD, DesktopBSD. (At some point we were a bit
33 over-enthausiastic.)
34
35 I would like to hear some opinions on the keywords in general, as well
36 as the particular problem of having Gentoo Linux, and a Linux supported
37 by Gentoo Prefix. Right now there is just the difference of "-linux"
38 appended, however this is not the clearest distinction between the two.
39 Perhaps using KEYWORDS for Prefix keywords is not the best thing to do,
40 and should we use something like PREFIX_KEYWORDS?
43 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0053.html
46 Fabian Groffen
47 Gentoo on a different level