From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:08:39
1 Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > I would personally like to stay with just the "qt" use flag. The use flag
3 > will be for support of whichever version of Qt is supported (v3 or v4) for
4 > the particular emerge.
5 >
6 > In the cases where more than one version is supported, it should be for
7 > Qt4 only. The Qt3 version should be a separate emerge. For example, in
8 > the case of the poppler bindings, there should be a poppler-bindings-qt3
9 > package.
10
11 The problem here is that a user cannot just say at one point "I do not want
12 any more qt3 packages on my system". He will need a
13 big /etc/portage/package.use list to do it. That is the same problem I
14 currently have with gtk1 - I would like to avoid it for qt.
15
16 Considering we only have 36 packages [1] with a qt useflag it will be fairly
17 easy to convert them to a qt3/qt4 version system that makes sense to
18 everyone and allows easy enabling/disabling of only qt3 or qt4.
19
20 [1] http://gentoo-portage.com/Search?search=&use=qt
21
22 this scheme also allows some people to disable qt4 just with USE="-qt4" and
23 mask it. Any optional qt4 interfaces wont be built then. With only a qt
24 useflag this would require a package.use list again.
25
26 Can we think about it again? 36 packages is less than half what currently
27 still uses gtk1 in the tree. Doing it right for the users is better than
28 doing it easy for the package maintainers.
29
30 Thanks,
31 Stefan
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list