From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:18:14
1 > > Maybe this could be solved by having two kinds of revisions:
2 > > - One would rebuild all as usually (for example, -r1...)
3 > > - The other one would only regenerate VDB and wouldn't change the
4 > > installed files (for example, -r1.1)
5 > >
6 > > But I am not sure if it could be viable from a "technical" point of
7 > > view :(
8 >
9 > I'm afraid it couldn't. The major problem is not knowing *when* to
10 > migrate metadata, portage usually gets that right. The problem is in
11 > getting the correct output which is often near to impossible.
12
13 I think we'd appreciate some more information here:
14
15 * What exactly is the metadata that we're talking about?
16 * How much of it can be generated by sourcing the ebuild, without running
17 phases?
18 * When does that exactly break? Example?
19
20 Thanks!!!
23 Andreas K. Huettel
24 Gentoo Linux developer