From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:06:42
1 Dnia 2014-07-21, o godz. 23:06:07
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > El lun, 21-07-2014 a las 20:55 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh escribió:
5 > > On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:53:04 +0200
6 > > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > Revision must be bumped when the on-disk files installed by the
8 > > > ebuild are changed.
9 > > > Nothing about dependencies.
10 > > >
11 > > > This has been policy for a LONG time, and we're not going to change
12 > > > it overnight just because you protest.
13 > >
14 > > Policy used to be that you'd do a revbump when you wanted users to
15 > > reinstall stuff, and you wouldn't otherwise. The only complication is
16 > > that sometimes you want users to reinstall stuff so that there's
17 > > accurate dependency information available, rather than because
18 > > something has changed.
21 > Maybe this could be solved by having two kinds of revisions:
22 > - One would rebuild all as usually (for example, -r1...)
23 > - The other one would only regenerate VDB and wouldn't change the
24 > installed files (for example, -r1.1)
25 >
26 > But I am not sure if it could be viable from a "technical" point of
27 > view :(
28
29 I'm afraid it couldn't. The major problem is not knowing *when* to
30 migrate metadata, portage usually gets that right. The problem is in
31 getting the correct output which is often near to impossible.
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny