From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: absinthe@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:41:31
1 On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 00:51, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Fri October 15 2004 03:20, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
3 > > Actually, the trustees, in an overwhelming 12-3 vote late yesterday
4 > > afternoon (UTC), decided that his assumption IS correct, and that
5 > > measures should be taken immediately to rectify the cruftiness of an
6 > > "amd64" keyword. Additionally, we then pre-empt AMD's lawyers from
7 > > issuing a cease-and-desist on their copywritten letters (those being
8 > > capital a, capital m, and capital d in a specific order).
9 >
10 > ok. So what will it be? x86_64? And when does this need to be changed
11 > by?
12
13 Here, I'll just paste the relevant snippet of the trustees meeeting on
14 irc (please note, I have obfuscated the names of the trustees to protect
15 their privacy and their vote):
16
17 <kliebe*>So, this amd64 thing is a pain up the backside. I don't think
18 we should support a separate profile until and unless AMD gives each and
19 every one of us a box for free. Who's with me?
20 <M*thod> Yar!
21 <Z*eN> Yar
22 <g3boojum>I could use a new computer, sure.
23 <schields>Can I get a "hell yeah"
24 <seem*nt>Well, ok, but what do we do about the users who already use
25 this amd64 profile thing? And by the way, where *is* the profile?
26 <*feifer>it's in ${PORTDIR}/profiles
27 <seem*nt>cd PORTDIR/profiles
28 -bash: cd: PORTDIR/profiles: No such file or directory
29 <seem*nt>anyway whatever, I vote yes
30 <*dmw*ters>ci*aranm has a good suggestion on the -dev mailing list.
31 <*lieber>I'm for it, let's force the amd64 devs to just obey the x86
32 keywords. After all, it's the same thing really, just with more
33 <M*th*d>bits on the end!
34 <csh*elds> Can I get another "hell yeah"
35 <p*uldv>There are some trustees who are absent. What do we do about
36 their votes.
37 <seem*nt>Since there's 6 missing and 6 of us, we can all vote twice.
38 Like, I'll vote for one, you for another, and so on. We'll just imagine
39 what the other person voted for.
40 <M*thod> I vote yes and no.
41 <Zh*N>ditto
42 g2b*ojum>I'll vote no and yes
43 <kli*ber>I'll vote yes and yes
44 <cshi*lds> I'll vote yes and abstain
45 <pa*ldv>no and abstain
46 <pf*ifer>yes and yes
47 <s*emant>yes and no
48
49 SNIP.
50
51 Note that at the end of the meeting we just voted the abstainers and the
52 nay-sayers OFF the board. We've had it up to here with their dissent,
53 quite frankly, so no more trouble out of that lot.
54
55 So, who's bidding the on the bridge I'm selling?
58 Seemant Kulleen
59 http://dev.gentoo.org/~seemant
60
61 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
62 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E