From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New basic systemd profile
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 15:49:59
1 On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2 May 2015 05:53:57 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 4:20 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
6 >> wrote:
7 >> > On Fri, 1 May 2015 11:28:52 -0400
8 >> > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
9 >> >
10 >> >> Due to popular demand, I have added a basic systemd profile for
11 >> >> amd64:
12 >> >
13 >> > what about we start telling people /etc/make.profile can be a dir
14 >> > and that you can fill the 'parent' file in there just as well as
15 >> > you ln -s it ?
16 >>
17 >> That is the whole mix-in concept. In order to make that work we'd
18 >> really need to work towards it. You can't inherit profiles in
19 >> arbitrary order. If you want something like mix-ins you really need
20 >> to split profiles up into certain classes and define rules about which
21 >> ones are used for what. Then they won't be stepping on each other's
22 >> toes.
25 > Rules that make that work are simple, but instead, we seem to be heading
26 > towards '# of arches * # of DEs * # of init systems * # of gentoo
27 > releases * # of ABIs * # of libcs' profiles. Most of them being just
28 > about a 'parent' file, and thus, I hope, following the good practices :)
31 Someone needs to do the work of writing the rules down.
32
33 Also, repoman probably needs to be adjusted so that we actually test
34 some useful subset of the possible combinations. There's no such
35 support today.