From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New basic systemd profile
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 15:27:10
1 On Sat, 2 May 2015 05:53:57 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 4:20 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Fri, 1 May 2015 11:28:52 -0400
7 > > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> Due to popular demand, I have added a basic systemd profile for
10 > >> amd64:
11 > >
12 > > what about we start telling people /etc/make.profile can be a dir
13 > > and that you can fill the 'parent' file in there just as well as
14 > > you ln -s it ?
15 >
16 > That is the whole mix-in concept. In order to make that work we'd
17 > really need to work towards it. You can't inherit profiles in
18 > arbitrary order. If you want something like mix-ins you really need
19 > to split profiles up into certain classes and define rules about which
20 > ones are used for what. Then they won't be stepping on each other's
21 > toes.
24 Rules that make that work are simple, but instead, we seem to be heading
25 towards '# of arches * # of DEs * # of init systems * # of gentoo
26 releases * # of ABIs * # of libcs' profiles. Most of them being just
27 about a 'parent' file, and thus, I hope, following the good practices :)
28
29 Alexis.