From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] Official support for migrating ebuilds out of games.eclass
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 23:02:45
1 On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm glad to see some reach-out here and taking responsibility for
3 > decisions. However, what does the QA team have to say about systems that
4 > want games on other media (such as an SSD or separate HDD), or wish to
5 > restrict the use of games on their system to certain accounts?
6 >
7 > Bumping EAPI won't magically allow those to happen, and removing the
8 > eclass *will* break those use cases. What's the "blessed" way to do those?
9
10 Per-package install locations? Sounds like a possible future EAPI
11 feature? Of course, the real trick is when packages need to interact
12 and the files aren't in a fixed location.
13
14 In general right now I don't think we have a blessed way to install
15 stuff in non-standard locations. Obviously you can fork an ebuild and
16 modify it, but if somebody wants to install KDE in /usr/kde/ and X11
17 into /usr/X11R6/ there isn't a clean way to do it.
20 Rich